Re: Patch for Makefile race against current cvs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Klaus Naumann <knaumann(at)gmx-ag(dot)de>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for Makefile race against current cvs
Date: 2001-11-12 21:20:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Keep in mind that parallel make only executes the rule commands in
> parallel, it does not cause the dependency analysis to be distributed.
> In order to satisfy a dependency graph you only need to process each node
> once, and parallelism doesn't change that.

Well, the proposed patch eliminates the issue for a single sub-make,
by artificially serializing the execution of these rules. But I'm still
concerned about what happens when a sub-make running in a different
directory sees a dependency on parse.h. There *is* distributed
dependency analysis when you think about that scenario.