pgsql on Mac OS X?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgsql on Mac OS X?
Date: 2000-10-31 16:34:41
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hello,

I'd really like to try PostgreSQL on Mac OS X, if it can be made to work.
Since it's not listed as a supported platform, I decided to be insane and
give it a try myself ;-) The last time I programmed in UNIX was 1987, so
I'm really out of date wrt BSD and GNU. I'm also a total newbie to
Postgres. But at least I've been coding in C & C++ for 15 years, so I've
got some degree of understanding.

First question is: does anyone know of a reason why this should *not*
work, has it already been tried and abandonded?

I've gotten it to compile, partly by making changes correctly, and partly
using the "bull in a china shop" technique of directly hacking source
files so that they'll work on this platform but not others.

I have gotten it down to 1 linker error, the TAS function is missing. (I
have to stop for a few days because of a deadline I've got on a project.)
I haven't had time to investigate what TAS is; I know where the source
files are; I know there's a couple of platform-specific ones and a dummy
one. I know that there's a need_tas flag in configure. I have tried
building with that flag set to both yes and no; it made no difference.
But I had trouble with make not rebuilding after some other changes to
configure, which I believe was due to a bug (I think) in OS X having to
do with links and modification dates.

Any advice or hints?

Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com