Re: New version numbering practices

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: New version numbering practices
Date: 2016-08-15 17:53:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 8/1/16 11:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Somebody needs to come up with a patch implementing this changeover.

> Here is such a patch. It does not yet implement:

I've pushed this with minor additional twiddling. We can work on the
"UI issues" you mentioned at leisure. One that I noted is that psql's
version-mismatch-warning messages aren't two-part-version aware, and
will print "10.0" where they should say "10". Probably that fix should
get back-patched, so that older psql branches will do the right thing
if possible.

I tried to fix the MSVC build to work, but I've not tested it and
am waiting to see what the buildfarm says.