Re: Path separator

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Path separator
Date: 2009-04-07 18:41:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Answering myself here: the filesize for the "frontend only" part is
>> about 2k on this system.

> Long meeting, time for coding.. :-) Here's a rough patch. Is this about
> what you had in mind?

Hm, this seems to make the namespace pollution problem worse not better,
because of de-staticizing so many functions. I guess we could stick pg_
prefixes on all of them. That's a bit ugly; anybody have a better idea?

It might be that it'd be better to push a couple more of the simple
path-munging functions (like join_path_components) over into the new
file, so as to have a more logical division of responsibilities.
In my mind the two key areas here are "path syntax knowledge" and
"extracting absolute paths from environmental information". The second
part seems to be the one that doesn't belong on the frontend side.