Re: New Object Access Type hooks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Brindle <joshua(dot)brindle(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Joe Conway <joe(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New Object Access Type hooks
Date: 2022-04-04 17:41:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Usually the test would succeed anyway because of matching the
> second or third regex alternative, but I wonder if there is
> some other spelling of libpq's complaint that shows up
> occasionally. It'd be nice if we could see the contents of
> $killme_stderr upon failure.

OK, now I'm confused, because pump_until is very clearly
*trying* to report exactly that:

if (not $proc->pumpable())
{
diag("pump_until: process terminated unexpectedly when searching for \"$until\" with stream: \"$$stream\"");
return 0;
}

and if I intentionally break the regex then I do see this
output when running the test by hand:

# Running: pg_ctl kill QUIT 1922645
ok 4 - killed process with SIGQUIT
# pump_until: process terminated unexpectedly when searching for "(?^m:WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process|server closed the connection foounexpectedly|connection to server was lost)" with stream: "psql:<stdin>:9: WARNING: terminating connection because of unexpected SIGQUIT signal
# psql:<stdin>:9: server closed the connection unexpectedly
# This probably means the server terminated abnormally
# before or while processing the request.
# "
not ok 5 - psql query died successfully after SIGQUIT

Is our CI setup failing to capture stderr from TAP tests??