Re: hstore parser incorrectly handles malformed input

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ryan Kelly <rpkelly22(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hstore parser incorrectly handles malformed input
Date: 2012-04-27 01:12:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> Ryan Kelly <rpkelly22(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> In my mind, all of these should have been rejected as erroneous input.
>> To that end, I have attached a patch which causes all of these inputs
>> to be rejected as invalid.

> Hm, I would have expected all three of these to result in "a" having
> an empty-string value. I see nothing in the hstore documentation
> suggesting that I must write a=>"" or some such to get an empty value,

Attached is an alternative patch that fixes it that way.

Does anybody else have an opinion as to which of these solutions is
more preferable? And should we regard this as a back-patchable bug
fix, or a definition change suitable only for HEAD?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
hstore-empty-values.patch text/x-patch 1.8 KB