Re: pgsql: Allow to omit boundaries in array subscript

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Allow to omit boundaries in array subscript
Date: 2015-12-18 16:54:53
Lists: pgsql-committers

Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:
> Allow to omit boundaries in array subscript

For the record, this patch wasn't nearly ready to commit.

* User-facing documentation is very poor; at the least it needs
copy-editing by someone with better command of English.

* Comments are next to nonexistent. I note for example that the
description of struct A_Indices wasn't updated, much less that of
ArrayRef.

* Some error messages aren't meeting the style guidelines.

* I'm dubious that the parsetree representation is well-chosen.
Probably a single is_slice flag would have been better.

* Dumps core on fixed-length arrays, eg

regression=# select f1[1:] from point_tbl;

I think it should be reverted and sent back for another round of
review. If not, I'll probably spend tomorrow cleaning it up,
but I really have other things I should be doing.