Re: ODBC problem - crypt..

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC problem - crypt..
Date: 2000-10-10 15:28:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com> writes:
> SSL link is established before any other data is sent (including
> username/password), correct?

Right. BTW, I believe the SSL support is actually broken in 7.0.* :-(
(the lack of complaints doesn't say much for the number of people
worried about comsec for PG). It's allegedly fixed in current sources
but I haven't tried it. I'd suggest experimenting with a current
snapshot.

> Are there any special libraries required for
> compiling PG with SSL support? Also, what about use of SSL inside/outside
> the US?

You need SSL which is a separate package. Beyond that I haven't a clue;
you'll have to go look for info about SSL.

> Now for the big question: Does the ODBC driver support SSL connections?

[... grep ...] Apparently not. libpq (and therefore anything built
atop libpq) does, but ODBC doesn't use libpq. ODBC needs some other
updates too --- for instance, it still thinks there's a limit on query
string length.

Right now I don't think anyone is actively maintaining ODBC, but it
badly needs someone to care for it. Any volunteers out there?