Re: Multiple Xids in PGPROC?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multiple Xids in PGPROC?
Date: 2004-05-06 00:32:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> I think if we want to do nontrivial manipulations in PGPROC we should
> make sure it's properly locked. Maybe it's a good time to implement the
> locking suggested here? With a LWLock instead of a spinlock, of course;
> we would need MaxBackends extra LWLocks.

Given the performance issues we're currently seeing with spinlocks
on SMP machines, I'm not sure I want to turn GetSnapshot from a
get-one-lock operation into a get-one-lock-per-backend operation :-(
The comment you were looking at was written on the assumption that
grabbing a spinlock is cheap, but it seems it isn't ...