Re: MD5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MD5
Date: 2000-05-10 16:38:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane writes:
>> We've required ANSI-style prototypes all along. There are some other
>> ANSI features we're willing to work around the lack of, like token
>> pasting in macros ---

> You must mean this stuff: :-)

Hmm, good point. I guess that HAVE_STRINGIZE stuff in c.h is dead code
after all, at least on the platforms people have tried Postgres on.

> I think it's fair to assume an ANSI C89 compiler in the year 2000, based
> on the fact that we don't actually seem to consciously avoid any
> constructs I know of, modulo the Autoconf safety net.

This is really a consequence of our development process: since we accept
patches from people who haven't studied the source very carefully, the
level of adherence to coding standards is pretty variable. Portability
problems get flushed out when someone reports "it doesn't work here",
but there's no process for removing no-longer-needed portability hacks.
Looks like HAVE_STRINGIZE is in that category now...