Re: Memory contexts reset for trigger invocations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory contexts reset for trigger invocations
Date: 2019-02-05 14:25:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Wouldn't it be better to reset an appropriate context after each
> invocation? Yes, that'd require some care to manage the lifetime of
> tuples returned by triggers, but that seems OK?

I'm not sure that we can change much here without effectively breaking
the trigger-function API. I doubt that there's enough win to be had
to justify forcing external PLs etc to change.

Having said that, I recall that that API was kind of a pain in the
rear when I was redoing plpgsql's handling of composite variables
last year. Don't recall details right now (ENOCAFFEINE). Maybe
a wholesale rethink would be justified? But I'm not excited about
just twiddling things at the margin.