Re: Remove useless arguments in ReadCheckpointRecord().

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove useless arguments in ReadCheckpointRecord().
Date: 2022-07-25 02:40:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> writes:
> On 2022/07/22 17:31, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
>> I believed that it is recommended to move to the style not having the
>> outmost parens. That style has been introduced by e3a87b4991.

> I read the commit log, but I'm not sure yet if it's really recommended to remove extra parens even from the existing calls to errmsg(). Removing extra parens can interfere with back-patching of the changes around those errmsg(), can't it?

Right, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to change existing calls. If you're
editing an ereport call for some other reason, it's fine to remove the
excess parens in it, because you're creating a backpatch hazard there
anyway. But otherwise, I think such changes are make-work in themselves
and risk creating more make-work for somebody else later.