Re: Rare SSL failures on eelpout

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rare SSL failures on eelpout
Date: 2019-03-05 14:33:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> BTW, I went looking for other failures on the buildfarm I noticed that
> even for eelpout it's only happening on master and REL_11_STABLE:

Yeah, I'd noticed that.

> Disappointingly, that turned out to be just because 10 and earlier
> didn't care what the error message said.

That is, you can reproduce the failure on old branches? That lets
out a half-theory I'd had, which was that Andres' changes to make
the backend always run its socket in nonblock mode had had something
to do with it. (Those changes do represent a plausible reason why
SSL_shutdown might be returning WANT_READ/WANT_WRITE; but I'm not
in a hurry to add such code without evidence that it actually
happens and something useful would change if we retry.)