Re: Splitting up guc.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Splitting up guc.c
Date: 2022-09-12 20:20:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

=?utf-8?Q?Dagfinn_Ilmari_Manns=C3=A5ker?= <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org> writes:
> Git can detect more complicated code movement (see the `--color-moved`
> option to `git diff`), but I'm not sure it's clever enough to realise
> that a change modifying a block of code that was moved in the meanwhile
> should be applied at the new destination.

Yeah, I suspect people will have to manually reapply any changes in
the GUC tables to guc_tables.c. That'll be the same amount of work
for them whenever we commit this patch (unless theirs lands first,
in which case I have to deal with it). The issue I think is
whether it's politer to make that happen during a CF or between
CFs.