Re: Release 13 of the PostgreSQL BuildFarm client

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: buildfarm-members(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release 13 of the PostgreSQL BuildFarm client
Date: 2021-08-03 20:00:00
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

> I'm planning on issuing a 12.1 release fairly soon with this patch, but
> as I developed it fairly quickly and through the fog of some painkillers
> I'd appreciate more eyes on it first :-)

I tested this on gaur, and it seems to work --- at least, it gets
through the git checkout step now. (It'll be a few hours before
the run finishes.)

One nit is that personally I could do without this:

+ my $gversion = `git --version`;
+ chomp $gversion;
+ print "$gversion too old to for automatic default branch update\n";

Aside from the message typo, that'll produce useless every-run chatter in
affected owners' cron logs. I'd probably soon set skip_git_default_check
to silence it, at which point it might as well not be there.

Thanks for fixing it, though. I wasted a couple of hours last night
trying to build current git on prairiedog and gaur, with no luck so far.
I think just blowing away their git repos when the master-branch rename
happens will be a much more appropriate amount of effort.