Re: "global/pgstat.stat" corrupt

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "global/pgstat.stat" corrupt
Date: 2012-06-22 19:49:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net> writes:
> I just restored a DB from a cold backup (pg_ctl stop -m fast)

> When starting the DB I see:
> LOG: corrupted statistics file "global/pgstat.stat"

Is that repeatable? It wouldn't be too surprising to see this once when
starting from a filesystem backup, if you'd managed to capture a
partially written stats file in the backup.

> When I look at the filesystem I don't see a global/pgstat.stat file but i do see a
> pg_stat_tmp/pgstat.stat

This is normal --- global/pgstat.stat is only supposed to exist when the
system is shut down. Transient updates are written into pg_stat_tmp/

> Are those stats related to pg_stats style statistics?

No, this file is for the stats collection subsystem,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/monitoring-stats.html