Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Mr(dot) Aaron W(dot) Swenson" <titanofold(at)gentoo(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories
Date: 2011-10-03 16:54:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Config-only directories seem to be only adding confusion. All possible
> solutions seem to be adding more code and user requirements, which the
> creation of symlinks avoids.

> Is it time for me to ask on 'general' if removal of this feature is
> warranted?

Well, the way we could fix it is to invent the parse-the-config-files
option that was alluded to recently. Then pg_ctl would continue to
take the -D switch or PGDATA environment variable with the same meaning
that the postmaster attaches to it, and would do something like

postgres --print-config-value=data_directory -D $PGDATA

to extract the actual location of the data directory.

Whether this is worth the trouble is highly debatable IMO. One obvious
risk factor for pg_ctl stop/restart is that the current contents of
postgresql.conf might not match what they were when the postmaster was
started.

I was never exactly thrilled with the separate-config-directory design
to start with, so I'm probably not the person to opine on whether we
could get away with removing it.