Re: Using AF_UNIX sockets always for tests on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using AF_UNIX sockets always for tests on Windows
Date: 2022-12-02 01:56:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2022-12-01 20:30:36 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If we remove that, won't we have a whole lot of code that's not
>> tested at all on any platform, ie all the TCP-socket code?

> There's some coverage via the auth and ssl tests. But I agree it's an
> issue. But to me the fix for that seems to be to add a dedicated test for
> that, rather than relying on windows to test our socket code - that's quite a
> few separate code paths from the tcp support of other platforms.

IMO that's not the best way forward, because you'll always have
nagging questions about whether a single-purpose test covers
everything that needs coverage. I think the best place to be in
would be to be able to run the whole test suite using either TCP or
UNIX sockets, on any platform (with stuff like the SSL test
overriding the choice as needed). I doubt ripping out the existing
Windows-only support for TCP-based testing is a good step in that
direction.