Re: buildfarm logging versus embedded nulls

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: buildfarm logging versus embedded nulls
Date: 2010-03-12 15:56:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Most of the "pgstat wait timeout" gripes are coming from the backend
>> running the "vacuum" regression test, but there are two that came from
>> process dcc0, which is shown by other log entries to be the autovacuum
>> launcher. So now I'm wondering if there could be some issue that occurs
>> when the autovac launcher and a backend both want stats concurrently.

> Seems like this issue would exist whenever two backends want stats
> concurrently, no? Is this well-tested?

Well, you tell me how much it's been tested ;-). But the autovac
launcher could possibly interact differently than another backend,
since it has a different value for maximum stats file age.

Anyway it's only a guess. It could well be that that machine was simply
so heavily loaded that the stats collector couldn't respond fast enough.
I'm just wondering whether there's an unrecognized bug lurking here.