Re: using index or check in ALTER TABLE SET NOT NULL

From: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using index or check in ALTER TABLE SET NOT NULL
Date: 2018-03-06 18:32:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

> You should be able to use an event trigger that raises a message when
> table_rewrite is hit, to notify the test driver that a rewrite happens.
Here is no table rewrite, only verify. So here EventTriggerTableRewrite is not called. Or i missed something?

> ISTM that depending on DEBUG messages is bad because debugging lines
> added elsewhere will make your tests fail;
I agree and this is reason why i not used DEBUG message in tests as was proposed. I found INFO messages in tests and decided that this was an acceptable option year ago.

> and INFO is generally frowned upon (I, for one, would frown upon an INFO message raised by ALTER
> TABLE, for sure.) so let's not do that either.
In this case we need remove INFO from ALTER TABLE ATTACH PARTITION code and tests. I think is a bad idea of using different rules for same stuff, right? Probably i can do this work too.

But it is necessary to decide how the test should look.

regards, Sergei