Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove arbitrary ALTER TABLE .. ADD COLUMN restriction.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove arbitrary ALTER TABLE .. ADD COLUMN restriction.
Date: 2011-01-26 16:05:32
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> This is not an "arbitrary restriction" because according to the SQL
>> standard those operations mean different things. In the first case you
>> get a column filled with the default value, in the second case you get a
>> column filled with nulls. And the latter case is the only one that
>> works properly with a rowtype.

> That's an untenable interpretation.

No, *your* interpretation is untenable. The sequence of operations that
the previous coding allowed behaves the same for both the table and
rowtype instances. The "shortcut" doesn't behave the same.

This was, I believe, discussed at length when the previous coding was
put in. The fact that you and Noah haven't read the spec carefully
doesn't give you license to change it.