Re: Syslog and pg_options (for RPMs)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Syslog and pg_options (for RPMs)
Date: 2001-02-09 03:52:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ncm(at)zembu(dot)com (Nathan Myers) writes:
> So now the question is, why did they write splogger? splogger parses
> the beginning of each message to assign a severity; if it finds "alert:"
> or "warning:" it assigns those, or "info" otherwise. To make splogger
> useful you have to know it's listening.

However, that answers Lamar's complaint about needing a way to control
the syslog level of messages. splogger might be more useful than logger
for our purposes --- even if we have to carry it along with us. What's
its license? A slight tweak of splogger to recognize our ERROR/FATAL/
DEBUG prefixes might be just the thing ...

>> (Curiously, the HP man pages do not say that syslog(3) or syslogd(1m)
>> conform to *any* standard ... hmm ... is logger more portable than
>> syslog?)

> The Linux page says just:
> HISTORY
> A syslog function call appeared in BSD 4.2.
> Normally if there's a standard they mention it.

Yes, the HP man pages also trace it to BSD. I'm surprised syslog
(apparently) hasn't made it into any formal standard.