Re: horology regression test failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: horology regression test failure
Date: 2005-12-21 23:44:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> Am Mittwoch, 21. Dezember 2005 08:21 schrieb Martin Pitt:
>> However, if --bindir etc. cannot be set, then maybe configure should
>> not offer these options?

> They can be set and support for that will not go away. But if you choose
> unfortunate combinations of locations, the installation becomes
> unrelocatable. Having a relocatable installation is a fairly uninteresting
> feature for binary package building on Linux systems (it was mainly intended
> for Windows), so I would not worry about that.

It's not all that uninteresting, because "make check" is essentially an
instance of exercising the relocatability feature. The fact that things
like rpath might get in the way doesn't mean that we should ignore other
problems.

(I'm not sure about Debian's policy, but the RPMs do --disable-rpath for
unrelated policy reasons, so there shouldn't be any problem with
relocating an RPM-based installation...)