Re: Allow specifying a dbname in pg_basebackup connection string

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "Thom Brown" <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, "Jelte Fennema" <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow specifying a dbname in pg_basebackup connection string
Date: 2023-07-05 14:01:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 5, 2023, at 9:43 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> I guess my immediate question is, should backups be taken through
> PgBouncer? It seems beyond PgBouncer's remit.

One of the PgBouncer's missions is to be a transparent proxy.

Sometimes you cannot reach out the database directly due to a security policy.
I've heard this backup question a few times. IMO if dbname doesn't matter for
reaching the server directly, I don't see a problem relaxing this restriction
to support this use case. We just need to document that dbname will be ignored
if specified. Other connection poolers might also benefit from it.

--
Euler Taveira
EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/