Re: Valgrind mem-check for postgres extension

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Natarajan R <nataraj3098(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Valgrind mem-check for postgres extension
Date: 2022-05-18 05:12:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Natarajan R <nataraj3098(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have few doubts in here,

> 1. When I run with *--leak-check=full*, I get memory leaks for postgres
> functions under possibly or definitely lost categories.. Is this expected?

Maybe ... you did not show your test case, so it's hard to say. But it
could well be that this is an artifact of failing to define USE_VALGRIND.

> 2. Is there any other way to test my extension memory leaks alone, because
> combining with postgres leaks is making instrumentation complex?..

No, not really.

> 3. I have seen some macros for valgrind support within postgres source code
> under utils/memdebug.h, but couldn't get complete idea of using it from the
> comments in pg_config_manual.h under *USE_VALGRIND *macro, pls provide some
> guidance here..

If you didn't build the core code with USE_VALGRIND defined, then none of
this stuff is going to work ideally.

The way I like to do it is to run configure, and then manually add
"#define USE_VALGRIND" to the generated src/include/pg_config.h
file before invoking "make". Probably other people have different
habits.