Re: s/recovery_connections/allow_standby_queries/, or something like that?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: s/recovery_connections/allow_standby_queries/, or something like that?
Date: 2010-04-29 18:33:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> +1 on changing it to something.
>>
>> Any thoughts on what?

> Well, the obvious possibility is:
> hot_standby = on/off

> allow_recovery_queries? Not sure I like either of those more than
> allow_standby_queries, though, despite what I just wrote.

I don't think we want the word "recovery" in there at all. From the
standpoint of system internals it might make sense, but the user is
not going to think of a hot standby server as being "in recovery".

I could go with just plain "hot_standby", though. It's sensible
and it also fits Robert's suggestion that it should match up with
the corresponding wal_level setting.