Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 18:34:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> What Heikki hasn't said is that setting max_prepared_transactions
> incorrectly has always caused a fatal error at failover, and still does
> so now when HS is disabled.

Hmm, good point. That should probably be documented somewhere. Now that
we WAL-log the max_prepared_xacts value, I suppose we could throw a
WARNING too.

> If these concerns were real ones, then that
> situation would not have existed for years and would not still do so.

There's very few people using two-phase commit out there, and even less
so in a standby configuration. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that.

--
Heikki Linnakangas