Re: [bug?] Missed parallel safety checks, and wrong parallel safety

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug?] Missed parallel safety checks, and wrong parallel safety
Date: 2021-06-14 06:40:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Why do you think we don't need to check index AM functions?

Primarily because index AMs and opclasses can only be defined by
superusers, and the superuser is assumed to know what she's doing.

More generally, we've never made any provisions for the properties
of index AMs or opclasses to change on-the-fly. I doubt that doing
so could possibly be justified on a cost-benefit basis.