PostgreSQL Weekly News - September 19, 2021

From: PWN via PostgreSQL Announce <announce-noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Weekly News - September 19, 2021
Date: 2021-09-20 00:53:38
Lists: pgsql-announce

# PostgreSQL Weekly News - September 19, 2021

Pgpool-II 4.2.5, a connection pooler and statement replication system for
PostgreSQL,
[released](https://www.pgpool.net/docs/42/en/html/release-4-2-5.html)

Database Lab 2.5, a tool for fast cloning of large PostgreSQL databases to
build non-production environments,
[released](https://gitlab.com/postgres-ai/database-lab/-/releases).

pgexporter 0.1.0, a Prometheus exporter for PostgreSQL,
[released](https://pgexporter.github.io/release/announcement/2021/09/15/pgexporter-0.1.0.html)

# PostgreSQL Product News

# PostgreSQL Jobs for September

[https://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2021-09/](https://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2021-09/)

# PostgreSQL in the News

Planet PostgreSQL: [https://planet.postgresql.org/](https://planet.postgresql.org/)

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm PST8PDT to david(at)fetter(dot)org(dot)

# Applied Patches

Michaël Paquier pushed:

- Refactor the syslogger pipe protocol to use a bitmask for its options. The
previous protocol expected a set of matching characters to check if a message
sent was the last one or not, that changed depending on the destination
wanted: - 't' and 'f' tracked the last message of a log sent to stderr. - 'T'
and 'F' tracked the last message of a log sent to csvlog. This could be
extended with more characters when introducing new destinations, but using a
bitmask is much more elegant. This commit changes the protocol so as a
bitmask is used in the header of a log chunk message sent to the syslogger,
with the following options available for now: - log_destination as stderr. -
log_destination as csvlog. - if a message is the last chunk of a message.
Sehrope found this issue in a patch set to introduce JSON as an option for
log_destination, but his patch made the size of the protocol header larger.
This commit keeps the same size as the original, and adapts the protocol as
wanted. Thanks also to Andrew Dunstan and Greg Stark for the discussion.
Author: Michael Paquier, Sehrope Sarkuni Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH7T-aqswBM6JWe4pDehi1uOiufqe06DJWaU5=X7dDLyqUExHg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH7T-aqswBM6JWe4pDehi1uOiufqe06DJWaU5=X7dDLyqUExHg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2d77d835403a20b51e17e59f0343ddc17f431eec](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2d77d835403a20b51e17e59f0343ddc17f431eec)

- Add regression tests for csvlog with the logging collector. These are added in
the existing tests of pg_ctl for log rotation, that already tested stderr.
The same amount of coverage is added for csvlog: - Checks for
pg_current_logfile(). - Log rotation with expected file name. - Log contents
generated. This test is refactored to minimize the amount of work required to
add tests for new log formats, easing some upcoming work. Author: Michael
Paquier, Sehrope Sarkuni Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH7T-aqswBM6JWe4pDehi1uOiufqe06DJWaU5=X7dDLyqUExHg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH7T-aqswBM6JWe4pDehi1uOiufqe06DJWaU5=X7dDLyqUExHg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/72b76f76161c78dd1be42592c4e5b980beef5f26](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/72b76f76161c78dd1be42592c4e5b980beef5f26)

- Fix error handling with threads on OOM in ECPG connection logic. An
out-of-memory failure happening when allocating the structures to store the
connection parameter keywords and values would mess up with the set of
connections saved, as on failure the pthread mutex would still be hold with
the new connection object listed but free()'d. Rather than just unlocking the
mutex, which would leave the static list of connections into an inconsistent
state, move the allocation for the structures of the connection parameters
before beginning the test manipulation. This ensures that the list of
connections and the connection mutex remain consistent all the time in this
code path. This error is unlikely going to happen, but this could mess up
badly with ECPG clients in surprising ways, so backpatch all the way down.
Reported-by: ryancaicse Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/17186-b4cfd8f0eb4d1dee@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17186-b4cfd8f0eb4d1dee@postgresql.org)
Backpatch-through: 9.6
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fa703b317e9d261ffd34bbf5651ea29aff3ff0f0](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fa703b317e9d261ffd34bbf5651ea29aff3ff0f0)

- Remove code duplication for permission checks with replication slots. Two
functions, both named check_permissions(), used the same checks to verify if a
user had required privileges to work on replication slots. This commit removes
the duplication, and moves the function doing the checks to slot.c to be
centralized. Author: Bharath Rupireddy Reviewed-by: Nathan Bossart, Euler
Taveira Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACUPpVw1u7sQocFVWrSs0n10pt_G_4NPZKSxXK6cW1dErw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACUPpVw1u7sQocFVWrSs0n10pt_G_4NPZKSxXK6cW1dErw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/026ed8efd6b1d774924937baf3209b676df4531f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/026ed8efd6b1d774924937baf3209b676df4531f)

- Update README for resource owners about the resource types supported. All the
types supported were listed directly in the README, but it was very outdated.
Rather than listing all the types supported in the README, this commit adds a
reference to look at ResourceOwnerData in resowner.c to get this information.
The order of the paragraphs is reworked a bit for clarity. Author: Amit
Langote Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqHtfT9z=4H5+F7DOy0OyNHAaVwuRcakt9b2t2uADOaiag@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqHtfT9z=4H5+F7DOy0OyNHAaVwuRcakt9b2t2uADOaiag@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cae6fc2bc27cdb072693076249ce688f048ca7b7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cae6fc2bc27cdb072693076249ce688f048ca7b7)

- Support "postgres -C" with runtime-computed GUCs. Until now, the -C option of
postgres was handled before a small subset of GUCs computed at runtime are
initialized, leading to incorrect results as GUC machinery would fall back to
default values for such parameters. For example, data_checksums could report
"off" for a cluster as the control file is not loaded yet. Or
wal_segment_size would show a segment size at 16MB even if initdb
--wal-segsize used something else. Worse, the command would fail to properly
report the recently-introduced shared_memory, that requires to load
shared_preload_libraries as these could ask for a chunk of shared memory.
Support for runtime GUCs comes with a limitation, as the operation is now
allowed on a running server. One notable reason for this is that `_PG_init`()
functions of loadable libraries are called before all runtime-computed GUCs
are initialized, and this is not guaranteed to be safe to do on running
servers. For the case of shared_memory_size, where we want to know how much
memory would be used without allocating it, this limitation is fine. Another
case where this will help is for huge pages, with the introduction of a
different GUC to evaluate the amount of huge pages required for a server
before starting it, without having to allocate large chunks of memory. This
feature is controlled with a new GUC flag, and four parameters are classified
as runtime-computed as of this change: - data_checksums - shared_memory_size -
data_directory_mode - wal_segment_size Some TAP tests are added to provide
some coverage here, using data_checksums in the tests of pg_checksums. Per
discussion with Andres Freund, Justin Pryzby, Magnus Hagander and more.
Author: Nathan Bossart Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/F2772387-CE0F-46BF-B5F1-CC55516EB885@amazon.com](https://postgr.es/m/F2772387-CE0F-46BF-B5F1-CC55516EB885@amazon.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0c39c292077ef3ba987ced0dc6ea1c8f4f1e1f4b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0c39c292077ef3ba987ced0dc6ea1c8f4f1e1f4b)

- Disable test for postgres -C on Msys. The output generated on Msys is
incorrect because of the different way IPC::Run processes outputs with native
Perl (converts natively \r\n to \n) and Msys perl (\r\n kept as-is), causing
this test to fail. For now, just disable the test to bring the buildfarm to a
green state. I think that the correct long-term solution would be to tweak all
the routines `command_checks_*` in PostgresNode.pm to handle this output like
psql does when using Msys, by discarding \r automatically before comparing it.
Per report from jacana and fairywren. Thanks to Tom Lane for the ping.
[https://postgr.es/m/1252480.1631829409@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/1252480.1631829409@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5adb06732d7fac8171609392ea83f18bc8f285f4](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5adb06732d7fac8171609392ea83f18bc8f285f4)

- Clarify some errors in pg_receivewal when closing WAL segments. A WAL segment
closed during a WAL stream for pg_receivewal would generate incorrect error
messages depending on the context, as the file name used when referring to a
WAL segment ignored partial files or the compression method used. In such
cases, the error message generated (failure on close, seek or rename) would
not match a physical file name. The same code paths are used by
pg_basebackup, but it uses no partial suffix so it is not impacted. 7fbe0c8
has introduced in walmethods.c a callback to get the exact physical file name
used for a given context, this commit makes use of it to improve those error
messages. This could be extended to more code paths of pg_basebackup/ in the
future, if necessary. Extracted from a larger patch by the same author.
Author: Georgios Kokolatos Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/ZCm1J5vfyQ2E6dYvXz8si39HQ2gwxSZ3IpYaVgYa3lUwY88SLapx9EEnOf5uEwrddhx2twG7zYKjVeuP5MwZXCNPybtsGouDsAD1o2L_I5E=@pm.me](https://postgr.es/m/ZCm1J5vfyQ2E6dYvXz8si39HQ2gwxSZ3IpYaVgYa3lUwY88SLapx9EEnOf5uEwrddhx2twG7zYKjVeuP5MwZXCNPybtsGouDsAD1o2L_I5E=@pm.me)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cddcf7842c31b4d07ca75439f6b4ddacaadbbd0d](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cddcf7842c31b4d07ca75439f6b4ddacaadbbd0d)

- Improve some check logic in pg_receivewal. The following things are improved:
- Fetch the system identifier from the source server before any WAL streaming
loop. This triggers extra checks to make sure that pg_receivewal is still
connected to a server with the same system ID with a correct timeline. -
Switch umask() (for file creation mode mask) and RetrieveWalSegSize() (to
fetch the size of WAL segments) a bit later before the initial stream
attempt. If the connection was done with a database, pg_receivewal would
fail but those commands were still executed, which was a waste. The slot
creation and drop are now done before retrieving the segment size. Author:
Bharath Rupireddy Reviewed-by: Ronan Dunklau, Michael Paquier Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACX00YYeyBfoi55Cy=NrP-FcfMgiYYx1qRUEib3yjCVoaA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACX00YYeyBfoi55Cy=NrP-FcfMgiYYx1qRUEib3yjCVoaA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/499c9b1266395c5e4c22bd7b2cbdb7f5a64ea4fa](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/499c9b1266395c5e4c22bd7b2cbdb7f5a64ea4fa)

Amit Kapila pushed:

- Doc: Change optional parameters grouping in Create Subscription. The
subscription parameters are rearranged into two groups: a) those that control
what happens during Create Subscription b) those that control the replication
behavior This makes the documentation of Create Subscription easier to
follow. Author: Peter Smith Reviewed-by: Amit Kapila Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAHut+PtPJDSOxtuMGpO2yDrRPKxcYGL4n7HqJP9HernZE=Cj+g@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAHut+PtPJDSOxtuMGpO2yDrRPKxcYGL4n7HqJP9HernZE=Cj+g@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fee1040fe330bd17054fc7e4296e9cde203ede0f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fee1040fe330bd17054fc7e4296e9cde203ede0f)

- Fix reorder buffer memory accounting for toast changes. While processing toast
changes in logical decoding, we rejigger the tuple change to point to
in-memory toast tuples instead to on-disk toast tuples. And, to make sure the
memory accounting is correct, we were subtracting the old change size and then
after re-computing the new tuple, re-adding its size at the end. Now, if there
is any error before we add the new size, we will release the changes and that
will update the accounting info (subtracting the size from the counters). And
we were underflowing there which leads to an assertion failure in assert
enabled builds and wrong memory accounting in reorder buffer otherwise.
Author: Bertrand Drouvot Reviewed-by: Amit Kapila Backpatch-through: 13, where
memory accounting was introduced Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/92b0ee65-b8bd-e42d-c082-4f3f4bf12d34@amazon.com](https://postgr.es/m/92b0ee65-b8bd-e42d-c082-4f3f4bf12d34@amazon.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/df3640e5293dccbf964508babfc067282ea7a2fc](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/df3640e5293dccbf964508babfc067282ea7a2fc)

Tom Lane pushed:

- Fix EXIT out of outermost block in plpgsql. Ordinarily, using EXIT this way
would draw "control reached end of function without RETURN". However, if the
function is one where we don't require an explicit RETURN (such as a DO
block), that should not happen. It did anyway, because add_dummy_return()
neglected to account for the case. Per report from Herwig Goemans.
Back-patch to all supported branches. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/868ae948-e3ca-c7ec-95a6-83cfc08ef750@gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/868ae948-e3ca-c7ec-95a6-83cfc08ef750@gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1bf2518dd67be58b207979a66db7bb7c94b93a62](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1bf2518dd67be58b207979a66db7bb7c94b93a62)

- Doc: improve documentation of CREATE/ALTER SUBSCRIPTION. Improve the
descriptions of some options. Fix sloppy grammar and markup. Peter Smith and
Tom Lane Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAHut+PtPJDSOxtuMGpO2yDrRPKxcYGL4n7HqJP9HernZE=Cj+g@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAHut+PtPJDSOxtuMGpO2yDrRPKxcYGL4n7HqJP9HernZE=Cj+g@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1882d6cca161dcf9fa05ecab5abeb1a027a5cfd2](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1882d6cca161dcf9fa05ecab5abeb1a027a5cfd2)

- Clear conn->errorMessage at successful completion of PQconnectdb(). Commits
ffa2e4670 and 52a10224e caused libpq's connection-establishment functions to
usually leave a nonempty string in the connection's errorMessage buffer, even
after a successful connection. While that was intentional on my part, more
sober reflection says that it wasn't a great idea: the string would be a bit
confusing. Also this broke at least one application that checked for
connection success by examining the errorMessage, instead of using PQstatus()
as documented. Let's clear the buffer at success exit, restoring the pre-v14
behavior. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/4170264.1620321747@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/4170264.1620321747@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/138531f1bbc333745bd8422371c07e7e108d5528](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/138531f1bbc333745bd8422371c07e7e108d5528)

- Fix planner error with multiple copies of an AlternativeSubPlan. It's possible
for us to copy an AlternativeSubPlan expression node into multiple places, for
example the scan quals of several partition children. Then it's possible that
we choose a different one of the alternatives as optimal in each place.
Commit 41efb8340 failed to consider this scenario, so its attempt to remove
"unused" subplans could remove subplans that were still used elsewhere. Fix
by delaying the removal logic until we've examined all the AlternativeSubPlans
in a given query level. (This does assume that AlternativeSubPlans couldn't
get copied to other query levels, but for the foreseeable future that's fine;
cf qual_is_pushdown_safe.) Per report from Rajkumar Raghuwanshi. Back-patch
to v14 where the faulty logic came in. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAKcux6==O3NNZC3bZ2prRYv3cjm3_Zw1GfzmOjEVqYN4jub2+Q@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAKcux6==O3NNZC3bZ2prRYv3cjm3_Zw1GfzmOjEVqYN4jub2+Q@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e8638d78a2cb94efba11a5dfbf3e7cd746d0af3e](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e8638d78a2cb94efba11a5dfbf3e7cd746d0af3e)

- Send NOTIFY signals during CommitTransaction. Formerly, we sent signals for
outgoing NOTIFY messages within ProcessCompletedNotifies, which was also
responsible for sending relevant ones of those messages to our connected
client. It therefore had to run during the main-loop processing that occurs
just before going idle. This arrangement had two big disadvantages: * Now
that procedures allow intra-command COMMITs, it would be useful to send
NOTIFYs to other sessions immediately at COMMIT (though, for reasons of
wire-protocol stability, we still shouldn't forward them to our client until
end of command). * Background processes such as replication workers would not
send NOTIFYs at all, since they never execute the client communication loop.
We've had requests to allow triggers running in replication workers to send
NOTIFYs, so that's a problem. To fix these things, move transmission of
outgoing NOTIFY signals into AtCommit_Notify, where it will happen during
CommitTransaction. Also move the possible call of asyncQueueAdvanceTail there,
to ensure we don't bloat the async SLRU if a background worker sends many
NOTIFYs with no one listening. We can also drop the call of
asyncQueueReadAllNotifications, allowing ProcessCompletedNotifies to go away
entirely. That's because commit 790026972 added a call of
ProcessNotifyInterrupt adjacent to PostgresMain's call of
ProcessCompletedNotifies, and that does its own call of
asyncQueueReadAllNotifications, meaning that we were uselessly doing two such
calls (inside two separate transactions) whenever inbound notify signals
coincided with an outbound notify. We need only set notifyInterruptPending to
ensure that ProcessNotifyInterrupt runs, and we're done. The existing
documentation suggests that custom background workers should call
ProcessCompletedNotifies if they want to send NOTIFY messages. To avoid an
ABI break in the back branches, reduce it to an empty routine rather than
removing it entirely. Removal will occur in v15. Although the problems
mentioned above have existed for awhile, I don't feel comfortable
back-patching this any further than v13. There was quite a bit of churn in
adjacent code between 12 and 13. At minimum we'd have to also backpatch
51004c717, and a good deal of other adjustment would also be needed, so the
benefit-to-risk ratio doesn't look attractive. Per bug #15293 from Michael
Powers (and similar gripes from others). Artur Zakirov and Tom Lane
[https://postgr.es/m/153243441449.1404.2274116228506175596@wrigleys.postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/153243441449.1404.2274116228506175596@wrigleys.postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2e4eae87d02fef51c42c2028b65d85b9e051f9eb](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2e4eae87d02fef51c42c2028b65d85b9e051f9eb)

- Improve log messages from pg_import_system_collations().
pg_import_system_collations() was a bit inconsistent about how it reported
locales (names output by "locale -a") that it didn't make pg_collation entries
for. IMV we should print some suitable message for every locale that we
reject, except when it matches a pre-existing pg_collation entry. (This is
all at DEBUG1 log level, though, so as not to create noise during initdb.)
Add messages for the two cases that were previously not logged, namely
unrecognized encoding and client-only encoding. Re-word the existing messages
to have a consistent style. Anton Voloshin and Tom Lane Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/429d64ee-188d-3ce1-106a-53a8b45c4fce@postgrespro.ru](https://postgr.es/m/429d64ee-188d-3ce1-106a-53a8b45c4fce@postgrespro.ru)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/69e31d05b0a33f55aa5d9540917540f5fccb93a7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/69e31d05b0a33f55aa5d9540917540f5fccb93a7)

- Disallow LISTEN in background workers. It's possible to execute user-defined
SQL in some background processes; for example, logical replication workers can
fire triggers. This opens the possibility that someone would try to execute
LISTEN in such a context. But since only regular backends ever call
ProcessNotifyInterrupt, no messages would actually be received, and thus the
registered listener would simply prevent the message queue from being cleaned.
Eventually NOTIFY would stop working, which is bad. Perhaps someday somebody
will invent infrastructure to make listening in a background worker actually
useful. In the meantime, forbid it. Back-patch to v13, which is where we
introduced the MyBackendType variable. It'd be a lot harder to implement the
check without that, and it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/153243441449.1404.2274116228506175596@wrigleys.postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/153243441449.1404.2274116228506175596@wrigleys.postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1316be28664f1834ac091113217537101331bdf3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1316be28664f1834ac091113217537101331bdf3)

- Remove arbitrary 64K-or-so limit on rangetable size. Up to now the size of a
query's rangetable has been limited by the constants INNER_VAR et al, which
mustn't be equal to any real rangetable index. 65000 doubtless seemed like
enough for anybody, and it still is orders of magnitude larger than the number
of joins we can realistically handle. However, we need a rangetable entry for
each child partition that is (or might be) processed by a query. Queries with
a few thousand partitions are getting more realistic, so that the day when
that limit becomes a problem is in sight, even if it's not here yet. Hence,
let's raise the limit. Rather than just increase the values of INNER_VAR et
al, this patch adopts the approach of making them small negative values, so
that rangetables could theoretically become as long as INT_MAX. The bulk of
the patch is concerned with changing Var.varno and some related variables from
"Index" (unsigned int) to plain "int". This is basically cosmetic, with
little actual effect other than to help debuggers print their values nicely.
As such, I've only bothered with changing places that could actually see
INNER_VAR et al, which the parser and most of the planner don't. We do have
to be careful in places that are performing less/greater comparisons on
varnos, but there are very few such places, other than the IS_SPECIAL_VARNO
macro itself. A notable side effect of this patch is that while it used to be
possible to add INNER_VAR et al to a Bitmapset, that will now draw an error.
I don't see any likelihood that it wouldn't be a bug to include these fake
varnos in a bitmapset of real varnos, so I think this is all to the good.
Although this touches outfuncs/readfuncs, I don't think a catversion bump is
required, since stored rules would never contain Vars with these fake varnos.
Andrey Lepikhov and Tom Lane, after a suggestion by Peter Eisentraut
[https://postgr.es/m/43c7f2f5-1e27-27aa-8c65-c91859d15190@postgrespro.ru](https://postgr.es/m/43c7f2f5-1e27-27aa-8c65-c91859d15190@postgrespro.ru)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e3ec3c00d85bd2844ffddee83df2bd67c4f8297f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e3ec3c00d85bd2844ffddee83df2bd67c4f8297f)

- Fix EXPLAIN to handle SEARCH BREADTH FIRST queries. The rewriter
transformation for SEARCH BREADTH FIRST produces a FieldSelect on a Var of
type RECORD, where the Var references the recursive union's worktable output.
EXPLAIN VERBOSE failed to handle this case, because it only expected such Vars
to appear in CteScans not WorkTableScans. Fix that, and add some test cases
exercising EXPLAIN on SEARCH and CYCLE queries. In principle this oversight
is an old bug, but it seems that the case is unreachable without SEARCH
BREADTH FIRST, because the parser fails when attempting to create such a
reference manually. So for today I'll just patch HEAD/v14. Someday we might
find that the code portion of this patch needs to be back-patched further.
Per report from Atsushi Torikoshi. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/5bafa66ad529e11860339565c9e7c166@oss.nttdata.com](https://postgr.es/m/5bafa66ad529e11860339565c9e7c166@oss.nttdata.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3f50b82639637c9908afa2087de7588450aa866b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3f50b82639637c9908afa2087de7588450aa866b)

- Fix pull_varnos to cope with translated PlaceHolderVars. Commit 55dc86eca
changed pull_varnos to use (if possible) the associated ph_eval_at for a
PlaceHolderVar. I missed a fine point though: we might be looking at a PHV in
the quals or tlist of a child appendrel, in which case we need to compute a
ph_eval_at value that's been translated in the same way that the PHV itself
has been (cf. adjust_appendrel_attrs). Fortunately, enough info is available
in the PlaceHolderInfo to make such translation possible without additional
outside data, so we don't need another round of uglification of planner APIs.
This is a little bit complicated, but since it's a hard-to-hit corner case,
I'm not much worried about adding cycles here. Per report from Jaime
Casanova. Back-patch to v12, like the previous commit. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210915230959.GB17635@ahch-to](https://postgr.es/m/20210915230959.GB17635@ahch-to)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a21049fd3f64518c8a7227cf07c56f2543241db2](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a21049fd3f64518c8a7227cf07c56f2543241db2)

- Doc: fix typos. "PGcon" should be "PGconn". Noted by D. Frey. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/163191739352.4680.16994248583642672629@wrigleys.postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/163191739352.4680.16994248583642672629@wrigleys.postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d5eeb51bc053d75f647136026de522d6ee3bf725](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d5eeb51bc053d75f647136026de522d6ee3bf725)

Andres Freund pushed:

- jit: Do not try to shut down LLVM state in case of LLVM triggered errors. If
an allocation failed within LLVM it is not safe to call back into LLVM as LLVM
is not generally safe against exceptions / stack-unwinding. Thus errors while
in LLVM code are promoted to FATAL. However llvm_shutdown() did call back into
LLVM even in such cases, while llvm_release_context() was careful not to do
so. We cannot generally skip shutting down LLVM, as that can break profiling.
But it's OK to do so if there was an error from within LLVM. Reported-By:
Jelte Fennema <Jelte(dot)Fennema(at)microsoft(dot)com> Author: Andres Freund
<andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> Author: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/AM5PR83MB0178C52CCA0A8DEA0207DC14F7FF9@AM5PR83MB0178.EURPRD83.prod.outlook.com](https://postgr.es/m/AM5PR83MB0178C52CCA0A8DEA0207DC14F7FF9@AM5PR83MB0178.EURPRD83.prod.outlook.com)
Backpatch: 11-, where jit was introduced
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/edb4d95ddf8984ad5b24d964d45884977d2fde4b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/edb4d95ddf8984ad5b24d964d45884977d2fde4b)

- process startup: Initialize PgStartTime earlier in single user mode. An
upcoming patch splits single user mode handling out of PostgresMain(). The
startup time only needs to be determined in single user mode. Currently the
initialization happens late, which makes the split a bit harder. As postmaster
determines the time earlier it makes sense to move the time for single user
mode to a roughly similar point in time. Reviewd-By: Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> Author: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
[https://postgr.es/m/20210802164124.ufo5buo4apl6yuvs@alap3.anarazel.de](https://postgr.es/m/20210802164124.ufo5buo4apl6yuvs@alap3.anarazel.de)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2c7615f77b8d84130d304365aa2235eea7b5949c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2c7615f77b8d84130d304365aa2235eea7b5949c)

- Fix performance regression from session statistics. Session statistics, as
introduced by 960869da08, had several shortcomings: - an additional
GetCurrentTimestamp() call that also impaired the accuracy of the data
collected This can be avoided by passing the current timestamp we already
have in pgstat_report_stat(). - an additional statistics UDP packet sent
every 500ms This is solved by adding the new statistics to
PgStat_MsgTabstat. This is conceptually ugly, because session statistics are
not table statistics. But the struct already contains data unrelated to
tables, so there is not much damage done. Connection and disconnection are
reported in separate messages, which reduces the number of additional
messages to two messages per session and a slight increase in
PgStat_MsgTabstat size (but the same number of table stats fit). - Session
time computation could overflow on systems where long is 32 bit. Reported-By:
Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> Author: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>