Re: [BUGS] BUG #14155: bloom index error with unlogged table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14155: bloom index error with unlogged table
Date: 2016-06-07 16:23:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 1:35 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>> I have finally given a shot at improving the docs with the attached.
>> Comments are welcome.

> [ assorted comments ]

I adopted most of David's suggestions, whacked it around a bit further
myself, and committed. See what you think.

> It would be nice to give guidance on selecting a bit size for columns and
> a signature length. Yes, Wikipedia covers the topic but to get the reader
> started some discussion of the relevant trade-offs when using larger
> numbers than the default would be nice. I don't suspect using smaller the
> default values is apt to be worthwhile...

Agreed, but I didn't want to write such text myself. There's room for
further improvement here. I did add a note in the main example about
what happens with a non-default signature length, but that hardly
constitutes guidance.

BTW, it seemed to me while generating the example that the planner's
costing for bloom index searches was unduly pessimistic; maybe there's
work to do there?