Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-10 16:37:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

2009/7/10 Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>:
> Simon Riggs wrote:

>> > I could not understand how you got that point from what I wrote. I am
>> > not in the point of saying any word in the name of EDB or CMD.
>>
>> Removing links does not imply that the companies concerned will stop
>> providing the files to PostgreSQL does it?

>> > Please stop Simon, please.
>>
>> Stop what? Stop asking for something that a significant number and a
>> clear majority of people have agreed is desirable? Why would I? I think
>> the companies concerned should consider stopping.
>
> I think this is an idealism vs. reality issue.  I could ask for the
> "moon in a box", but I am not going to get it, so there isn't much point
> in my asking.  I could ask for all companies to contribute to the
> community with no advertising, but it isn't going to happen, or it
> certainly is going to decrease company contributions.

I thing, so we should to have own "neutral" win installer. An
community installer should by simply and should install just
PostgreSQL server, ODBC and .NET driver and maybe pgAdmin. Nothing
more. Rich installers, that's need lot of work and support should live
in company space. Primary on our pages should be link on our simply
installer, but on same page should be links on company installers. So
people should select and they reside, what they need.

I believe so people from EDB do lot of work, but Simon do it too, and
others from non EDB space and if we don't need some collision, then
primary space should be neutral.

Regards
Pavel Stehule