Re: running make check with only specified tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: running make check with only specified tests
Date: 2014-01-26 19:59:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 01/26/2014 12:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also, the tests themselves don't take that long, especially in parallel
>> mode. If you need to speed up repeated testing, it's more profitable to
>> avoid the install/initdb overhead of a "make check". I use a small
>> script that just reinstalls the postgres executable and does "make
>> installcheck-parallel" when I'm doing iterative development.

> I have something similar, and prodded by your email I've just improved
> it a bit ;-) But it doesn't work so well if you're changing the catalog,
> as you need an initdb anyway.

True. OTOH, when you're changing the catalogs it seems pretty foolish
to not run the whole test suite.

Anyway, I have no great objection to the proposed patch, I'm just dubious
that it's really worth the trouble. If you do go through with it, I'd
suggest adding an installcheck-with variant.

In the bikeshedding department, maybe "-tests" instead of "-with"?