Re: Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>, flyvholm(at)fys(dot)ku(dot)dk, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist
Date: 2006-02-01 17:10:47
Lists: pgsql-ports

> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> the issue is whether they actually export symbols that are NEEDED.

> Yea, ouch. This is going to be a pain.

What I had in mind was to run "nm --ext --def" or local equivalent
on each library, and then pick out a few symbols that look plausible
to test for (or just send 'em all to the list if you are lazy). We
want to pick a symbol for each library that (a) is actually referenced
by Postgres and (b) exists in that library on all our platforms that
need that library.