the doc should mention one particular aspect of partial indexes

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: chaodhib(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: the doc should mention one particular aspect of partial indexes
Date: 2021-01-18 17:07:42
Lists: pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/sql-vacuum.html

Hi,

I think the documentation should mention one particular aspect of b-tree
partial indexes:
Say we have a row that satisfy a partial index's predicate. That row will be
referenced by the partial index. Say now that this row gets updated in such
a way that the updated row no longer satisfies the predicate. The entry of
that row in the index (more precisely, the row previous version) is still
kept in a leaf node of the b-tree until a VACUUM is issued on the index's
table.

So in short, an update on the index's predicate column results in no direct
change on the index whereas a change on an index column is reflected as soon
as the change has been committed. I think the documentation should mention
this specificity in some way since it can have impact in terms of index
design. I couldn't find a mention of this behavior anywhere in the doc.

Kind regards,
Chaouki Dhib