Re: Foreign Database Connectivity

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Foreign Database Connectivity
Date: 2003-04-16 05:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> See previous discussion of SQL-MED standard. I'd prefer to see us try
>> to implement a standard than invent something off-the-cuff ...

> Does anyone implement this?

Couldn't say. It's a relatively new standard. That hasn't stopped us
from implementing SQL99 stuff though, nor in some cases SQL200x stuff
that the ink is still wet on...

> What about Oracle's Create database link syntax?

What about it? Does anyone beside Oracle support it? Can we implement
it without running afoul of Oracle patents? Quite honestly, I'm afraid
to base any feature on "this is how Oracle does it", first because it's
foolish to shoot at a target that the competition can move at will, and
second because I know that sooner or later they are going to be looking
for ways to nail us for patent infringement.