Re: need a function to extract list items from pg_node_tree

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: need a function to extract list items from pg_node_tree
Date: 2012-12-21 15:53:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12/21/12 7:26 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Hm. Wouldn't it be better to create a pg_node_tree[] and use that in
>> pg_attribute? Its already in the variable length part of pg_proc
>> anyway...

> That sounds like a good idea. I don't know why they are currently
> stored as a list.

They're stored as a list because that's what's convenient for use by the
parser/planner. I believe that a change like this would be quite
inconvenient on that end, and that that is not where we want to put the
inconvenience. I'm also concerned about possibly breaking any
third-party code that's already coping with the current representation.