Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables
Date: 2013-03-03 15:17:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 02/08/2013 01:03 AM, Kohei KaiGai wrote:
>> The attached patch adds Daniel's reworks on make_modifytable
>> invocation, and add a short comment on add_base_rels_to_query(). Rest
>> of portion has not been changed from the previous version.

> How's this looking for 9.3? On-list discussion seems to have been
> positive but inconclusive and time's running out. Do you think this can
> be turned into a production-worthy feature in the next week or two?

I think it needs major changes. The portion against
contrib/postgres_fdw fails to apply at all, of course, but that's my
fault for having hacked so much on postgres_fdw before committing it.
More generally, I don't much like the approach to ctid-substitute
columns --- I think hacking on the rel's tupledesc like that is
guaranteed to break things all over the place. The assorted ugly
kluges that are already in the patch because of it are just scratching
the surface, and there may well be consequences that are flat out
unfixable. Probably the resjunk-columns mechanism would offer a better
solution.

I had hoped to spend several days on this and perhaps get it into
committable shape, because I think this is a pretty significant feature
that will take FDWs over the line from curiosity to useful tool.
However, I've been hoping that for nigh two weeks now and not actually
had any cycles to spend on it ...