Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums
Date: 2019-03-14 13:59:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.03.2019, 17:54 +0100 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 4:51 PM Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 13.03.2019, 12:43 +0100 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> > > I think this is dangerous enough that it needs to be enforced and not
> > > documented.
> >
> > Changing the cluster ID might have some other side-effects, I think
> > there are several cloud-native 3rd party solutions that use the cluster
> > ID as some kind of unique identifier for an instance. It might not be an
> > issue in practise, but then again, it might break other stuff down the
> > road.
>
> Well, whatever we do they have to update, right?

Yeah, but I am saying their orchestrators might get confused about where
the old instance went and what this new thing with a totally different
systemid is and lose the connection between the two.

Maybe that is a feature and not a bug.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz