Re: Adding domain type with CHECK constraints slow on large table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jerry Sievers <jerry(at)jerrysievers(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding domain type with CHECK constraints slow on large table
Date: 2007-09-20 22:05:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Jerry Sievers <jerry(at)jerrysievers(dot)com> writes:
> I believe what's happening here is that the server doesn't realize
> that the new column is going to have all nulls and that the check
> constraint allows nulls. As such, the check evidently is being
> evaluated for each row of the table.

Yup, that's right. There are some corner cases that make that harder to
optimize than it might look:

* volatile functions in the constraint might possibly deliver different
answers at different rows

* if table is in fact empty, we should not throw an error, nor indeed
evaluate the constraint even once (again, volatile functions...)