Re: C function question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: C function question
Date: 2009-02-03 21:28:11
Lists: pgsql-general

> Grzegorz Jakiewicz wrote:
>> looks like it really has to be defined with "char" in double quotes. I
>> thought just char is enough...

> They're different types.

You know, maybe we should stop holding our noses and do something about
this old gotcha. That type's not going away anytime soon, but could we
rename it to char1 or something like that? (With some sort of backward
compatibility hack, like a domain named "char".)

On the other hand, that might be more trouble than it's worth. Even
with a domain alias, there'd be a nontrivial chance of breaking apps
that look at the char columns of the system catalogs.