Re: Core Extensions relocation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-18 14:35:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 11/17/2011 03:18 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Who's to say that after this, the core extensions won't end up in a new
>> separate package postgresql-extensions (or similar) or might even stay
>> in postgresql-contrib, for compatibility?

> I don't know why packagers would make an active decision that will make
> their lives more difficult, with no benefit to them and a regression
> against project recommendations for their users.

Why do you figure that, exactly? The path of least resistance will
be precisely to leave everything packaged as it is, in a single
postgresql-contrib module. I'm pretty likely to do that myself for
Fedora and RHEL. Subdividing/rearranging contrib makes the packager's
life more complicated, *and* makes his users' lives more complicated,
if only because things aren't where they were before. It seems unlikely
to happen, at least in the near term.

> And if some wanted to wander this way, they'll end up having to maintain
> a doc patch to address the fact that they've broken with project
> recommendations. This text in what I submitted will no longer be true:

You're assuming anybody will notice or care about that text, if indeed
it gets committed/released with that wording at all.

The upstream project can't force these decisions on packagers, and it
doesn't help to go about under the illusion that we can.