Re: USAGE on schema allowed by default?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: USAGE on schema allowed by default?
Date: 2002-12-01 04:14:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This has nothing to do with USAGE on the schema; it is just a matter of
>> being able to read the system catalogs.

> <quote>
> By default, users cannot see the objects in schemas they do not own.
> </quote>

Perhaps "access" would be a better verb than "see" here. You cannot
actually *do* anything with objects that live in a schema you don't
have USAGE on. (If you find any holes in that statement, let me know.)
You can, however, find out their names and other properties by examining
the system catalogs.

I agree that this isn't completely ideal, but I stand by my comment that
it's not worth breaking every client that looks at system catalogs in
order to prevent it.