Re: timeout implementation issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: timeout implementation issues
Date: 2002-04-10 04:42:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Actually, we could probably prevent transaction abort on syntax(yacc)
> errors, but the other errors like mistyped table names would be hard to
> prevent a rollback, so I guess we just roll back on any error.

I don't think that what we categorize as an error or not is very
relevant to the discussion, either. The real point is: should SET
have rollback behavior similar to other SQL commands, or not?
If we had savepoints, or ignorable syntax errors, or other frammishes
this question would still be the same.