Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL
Date: 2012-11-16 15:46:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Another way might be something like
> SET GLOBAL name = value
> but that would make the command very dissimilar from the other ones,
> even though their effects are closely related.

Yeah. I think it would also give people a wrong impression about when
the setting would take effect, because existing variants of SET are
immediate (for some value of immediate). And it would invite confusion
with the write-the-config-file patch, which is going to end up using
some syntax much like this one. I think we really want to use ALTER,
though I agree none of the alternatives are great.

Have you considered ALTER SYSTEM SET ... ? We'd talked about that in
the context of the other patch, but it seems to fit much more naturally
with this one. Or maybe ALTER GLOBAL SET or ALTER ALL SET.