Re: gset updated patch

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gset updated patch
Date: 2012-11-16 15:42:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Pavel,

On 11/16/2012 12:21:11 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2012/11/16 Karl O. Pinc <kop(at)meme(dot)com>:

> > As long as I'm talking crazy talk, why not
> > abandon psql as a shell language and instead make a
> > pl/pgsql interpreter with readlne() in front
> > of it? Solve all these language-related
> > issues by using an actual programming language. :-)

> I though about it more time, but I don't thinking so this has a
> sense.
> Actually we cannot do perfect autocomplete for significantly simpler
> SQL and there are lot of client side interprets - is not reason for
> next one. I use psql together bash and it works well. But just very
> simple task as storing some volatile data for repetitive usage is
> relative laborious and it is a motivation for this patch. In psql I
> can simply work with any fields of returned record - what is more
> terrible work outside psql

You might consider using "do".

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-do.html

If you need to maintain a single connection you can do
some interesting things with socat to feed a running psql
in the background.

socat -u UNIX-RECV:/tmp/msock EXEC:psql &

Followed by lots of

echo bar | socat -u STDIN UNIX-SENDTO:/tmp/mysock

\o can be used to send output for pickup, although
you do need to fuss around with the asynchronous nature
of things to be sure you're waiting for output.
I used inotifywait for this. YMMV.

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein