Re: foreign key locks

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: foreign key locks
Date: 2012-11-16 16:17:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 01:27:26PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > https://github.com/alvherre/postgres/commit/df2847e38198e99f57e52490e1e9391ebb70d770
> >
> > (I don't think this is worth a v24 submission).
>
> Are you aware of any defects in or unanswered questions of this version that
> would stall your commit thereof?

Yeah, I am revisiting the list of XXX/FIXME comments you pointed out
previously.

And I would still like someone with EPQ understanding to review the
ExecLockRows / EvalPlanQual / heap_lock_tuple interactions.

Andres is on the verge of convincing me that we need to support
singleton FOR SHARE without multixacts due to performance concerns. It
would be useful for more people to chime in here: is FOR SHARE an
important case to cater for? I wonder if using FOR KEY SHARE (keep
performance characteristics, but would need to revise application code)
would satisfy Andres' users, for example.