Re: R: feature proposal ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Hans-J?rgen Sch?nig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Paolo Magnoli <pmagnoli(at)systemevolution(dot)it>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: R: feature proposal ...
Date: 2005-09-22 20:25:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So why not do what everyone is agreed on now?

I wasn't agreed on it ;-)

The primary objection I've got is that I think this will be a very
considerable increment of work for exactly zero increment in
functionality, compared to being able to copy from a view. (If you're
not seeing why, consider that COPY is a utility statement not an
optimizable statement; you'd have to change that classification, with
resultant impacts all across the system.) There are other places
where the effort could be more usefully spent.