Re: [PHP] authentication question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robby Russell <rrussell(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Cath Lawrence <Cath(dot)Lawrence(at)anu(dot)edu(dot)au>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PHP] authentication question
Date: 2003-08-07 14:04:13
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-php

Robby Russell <rrussell(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but try adding this to the
> bottom (seen this as a common practice)

> # reject all connections from all hosts not granted above
> host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 reject

This is unnecessary --- if the postmaster falls off the end of the file
without a match, it defaults to "reject". Nothing wrong with having
such a line for documentation purposes, but it shouldn't change the
behavior one bit.

My guess about Cath's original problem is that the lines she showed us
only controlled attempted connections to the "temp" database ... not to
any other database. If she had more lines later in the file, those
would be consulted for any connection to a database not named "temp".

Another common mistake (been burnt this way more than once) is to forget
to SIGHUP the postmaster (eg, pg_ctl reload) after editing the config
file. You can get *really* confused if you are trying different things
and sometimes you remember to SIGHUP and sometimes you don't.