Re: Fwd: Strangely Variable Query Performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: robins(at)pobox(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Strangely Variable Query Performance
Date: 2007-04-17 04:44:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

Robins <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> If and when you do come up with a solution, please do post some details
> about them here... (i say that coz it seems that for obvious reasons, things
> must have gone off air after tom's last email, and one can understand that).
> But an analysis, or atleast a pointer may be of help to someone (like me)
> reading this list.

Oh, sorry, the subsequent discussion moved over to pgsql-hackers:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-04/msg00621.php
and -patches:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-04/msg00374.php

Those are good places to look if a discussion on -bugs or other lists
seems to tail off...

regards, tom lane

PS: the reason I couldn't reproduce the behavior was just that the dummy
data I was using didn't have the right statistics.