Re: gitlab post-mortem: pg_basebackup waiting for checkpoint

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gitlab post-mortem: pg_basebackup waiting for checkpoint
Date: 2017-02-26 19:27:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 14.02.2017, 18:18 -0500 schrieb Robert Haas:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > I'd rather have a --quiet mode instead. If you're running it by hand,
> > you're likely to omit the switch, whereas when writing the cron job
> > you're going to notice lack of switch even before you let the job run
> > once.
>
> Well, that might've been a better way to design it, but changing it
> now would break backward compatibility and I'm not really sure that's
> a good idea. Even if it is, it's a separate concern from whether or
> not in the less-quiet mode we should point out that we're waiting for
> a checkpoint on the server side.

ISTM the consensus is that there should be no output in regular mode,
but a message should be displayed in verbose and progress mode.

So I went forth and also added a message in progress mode (unless
verbose messages are requested anyway).

Regarding the documentation, I tried to clarify the difference between
the checkpoint types a bit more, but I think any further action is
probably a larger rewrite of the documentation on this topic.

So attached are two patches, I've split it up in the documentation and
the code output part. I'll add it as one commitfest entry in the
"Clients" section though, as it's not really a big patch, unless
somebody thinks it should have a secon entry in "Documentation"?

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Documentation-updates-regarding-checkpoints-for-base.patch text/x-patch 2.5 KB
0002-Mention-initial-checkpoint-in-pg_basebackup-for-verb.patch text/x-patch 2.7 KB